House of Zathras

Zathras understand. .. No. Zathras not understand, but Zathras do. Zathras good at doings, not understandings.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Gift of Life...

That's what I did today...I gave the gift of life. I used to give blood regularly, until I moved to a rural town where there is no blood bank. But there was a blood drive today at our town's Civic Center from 12 - 6. When I got there, the good folks were having to set up more stations to process the blood donors. It seems that they only expected around 34 people for the entire day. When I got there around 2:00, I was number 47, and there were about 15 people behind me, and more coming in when I left. But nobody complained about the wait. In fact, it was almost like a party. All the donors waited patiently, joking around and telling stories. One of the best lines I heard came from a man who thought he was having a 'teachable moment' with his child. He had gotten in the wrong seat, and when he was redirected to the right one, he told his daughter, "See? Sometimes daddy makes a mistake." To which his cute little daughter replied, "Yeah, and sometimes you just tell a lie." Bwa-ha-ha! I finally made it to the front of the line, and had to go do the medical history and all that. Which includes getting pricked on the finger so they can test your blood for iron. (Gee, I hope I'm not rusty!!!) I hate that part worse than the needle for drawing blood from my arm. And then they squeeze your finger...ouch...to get the blood out. They drop some blood in a blue solution...whoops, my blood didn't drop fast enough. (I guess I don't have to worry about rust after all!) That means they have to spin my blood to do a further test for iron. Which means the mean lady squeezes my finger AGAIN! OUCH! My blood gets spun, tests out okay, so I'm on the the vein drain area! I was directed to a table to pick up the collection bag. There was a huge pile of them on the table, all waiting to be filled with blood. I walked up, and the lady behind it asked me what blood type I had. I told her I was A-, so she said, "Oh. Pick up that one on the end of the table. The one by itself." ...So what's wrong with my blood, that I get the poor little bag set off by itself??? If you don't like my blood, I'll just go offer it to a vampire...at least I'd get a kiss on the neck out of the deal! I finally make it to the actual donation area. I get prepped...the tech did a great job. I barely felt the needle stick. And my blood comes out pretty quickly, faster than the techs expect. I like to 'race' the other blood donors to see who can fill their bag the fastest. (Note to self...don't get seriously injured...I'd bleed to death before EMTs could get there to stop the bleeding...arrgghh) After I'm done donating, I get a snack...drinks and cookies and crackers and such. Yummy. The finished donors hang around awhile there, laughing and joking still. AND I got a cool long-sleeved t-shirt (Army Green!!!) and a chance to win a cruise and a pair of airline tickets. But most importantly, my blood has gone to help someone. What better gift to give at Christmas? If you have never donated before, please consider it. Typically donations decrease during the holidays because of folks being so busy. But there is also an increased need for blood as the increased traveling results more traffic accidents. Please. Give the gift of yourself. Give the gift of life.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Teresa said...

Different bags for different blood types. Negative blood types are more rare, so they have a smaller stock of those bags out - they won't get used. (I'm also A-) Most common blood type is O. (O negative was, in the early days of transfusions, considered the universal donor type)

12/21/2006 09:15:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs_Who said...

Teresa: Thanks for that info. Now I feel special!

12/21/2006 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

but you are always special. Sometime soon I guess I will have to post about the blood donor incident with a former boss.

12/22/2006 01:47:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs_Who said...

Tink: Please Do! I'll share a story about *poop* and a former boss if you share your story.

12/22/2006 09:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home