House of Zathras

Zathras understand. .. No. Zathras not understand, but Zathras do. Zathras good at doings, not understandings.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

What a beautiful story...

I saw this article today...it's about the Holocaust and survival...and the dignity of the human spirit...and destiny and faith...and a mother's love. I'm looking forward to seeing that story when it becomes a movie. I admire the Jewish people - their traditions, their faith, their fortitude in all they have suffered through the ages. =HC=/Bitterroot and I have always said if we weren't Catholic, we'd be Jewish. Our faith does come from the Jewish faith. After all, Jesus was a Jew. I made that remark once in front of some co-workers back when I was in college. (I was living in a highly Baptist-concentrated area of Texas at the time.) This little old black lady almost went into hysterics, saying: 'Jesus was NOT a Jew. He was a CHRISTIAN!!!' I never meant to cause her offense, and I made sure not to discuss religion around her after that. But Jesus was a Jew. The 'Last Supper' was a celebration of the Jewish Passover. And I have heard that people who practice Islam honor Jesus as a prophet, and his mother Mary is very revered also. She is supposedly mentioned in the Koran many more times than Mary is mention in the Bible. But how can that be, since Mary is a Jewish woman? Enough of the theological implications...my head hurts, lol. I don't know any Jewish people, but if any of you readers are, I'd like to wish you a 'Happy Chanukah'. I saw this blessing from the second night (I believe), and marvel in its universality in applying to us all: Blessed are you, Lord, our God, sovereign of the universe who has kept us alive, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this season. (Amen) Amen, indeed.

2 Comments:

Blogger =HC= said...

I don't know if I told you, and you're not here to tell it to in-person, but Eraserhead asked me about this on the way home from CYO the other night...

You must have told him about my own inquiry into Judiasm back in the '80's. When I told them about the rigorous path to conversion to the Jewish faith, he seemed pretty impressed... That is up until I told him that a ceremonial bris is still required for all male converts... Regardless of age. Regardless of whether or not you've already been 'snipped'.

His hands reflexively covered his lap, and he exclaimed, "I think I'm pretty happy staying Catholic!"

Heh. I remember that news stopped me in my tracks, too!

12/19/2006 04:30:00 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

Oh my gosh, now I have something else in common with you. I went to Hardin-Simmons University in Abilene, Texas. The other thing we have in common? Being very unhappy in marriage number one, and very happy in marriage number two!

12/20/2006 02:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home